Saturday, November 17, 2007

NAACP Dinner


Last week I was invited, by President Byrd and his wife, to join them at the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) dinner in Des Moines. I was very grateful to have this opportunity to hang out with President Byrd, and also learn a lot about the issues concerning the NAACP. Also invited were, Emili Johnson, Steven Ramsey, Mike Wilson, Carolyn Dallinger, and Walter Lain.

Mike Wilson, Greg (me), Steven Ramsey, and Emili Johnson

Emili Johnson and I rode with President Byrd and Mrs. Byrd. While on the ride there and back, I realized something. My first impulse when getting into a car, is to turn the radio on. We did not turn the radio on at all in the car, instead, we talk with each other about everything from journal entries to cold weather. To tell you the truth, I enjoyed it! During the ride back, when I realized we hadn't turned on the radio, I felt bad for all the times I turned the music on in my car. I felt like I neglected the opportunity for conversation that may have been fruitful.
While at Embassy Suites in Des Moines, we met some important people. Of these important people are Rev. Gill L. Ford who is the NAACP Region IV Director. Rev. Gill L. Ford was also the speaker for the night. Fortunately, I was able to get a picture with him, as he was a high priority man.
Rev. Gill L. Ford and I

Being the great conversationalist that we all are, we also with the President of Des Moines NAACP Branch Mrs. Linda M. Carter-Lewis. She was so very kind to us. She gave us all hugs and made each one of us feel as if she was sincerely happy that we came. Again, we managed to take a picture with this wonderful lady!

Greg (me), Linda M. Carter-Lewis, Mike Wilson, and Steven Ramsey

The event was a great turn out. We all enjoyed ourselves and have applied for NAACP membership. We are also planning on getting a Chapter started at our school. So be on the look out! Thanks for reading!

=)

God Bless, Greg

2 comments:

Beth - Admissions Counselor said...

Wow, what a great opportunity Greg. Very cool!

PS- I like the radio epiphany!

Dragon Wrestling said...

Nice..I don't think I ever told you I was a chairman of NAACP University of Florida Chapter.

Love, Peace, and Happiness,

Thomas Frank Harrison